Day 3 – Juneau

We were not scheduled to dock until around noon with the ok to go ashore around 1PM. Because of this, the day began as normal, got up and got ready, packed my bag for a day ashore, then I headed to breakfast.

After breakfast, I wandered around, ran into a couple of people I had met earlier so we sat and chat for a while. Before you knew it, you guessed it, it was time for lunch lol.

While at lunch, we completed docking alongside Juneau. At this time, I headed back to my cabin and grabbed my bag then hung out in the Piazza catching up on the latest online. Approval was received to go ashore.

Monday, I opted to let the weather forecast change my mind about going whale watching and to Mendenhall Glacier. So my plan at this point was just to wander in town. I hung out onboard long enough for the excursions groups to get off the ship.

I will note that typically, you meet in the Theatre, they give you the little sticker with your bus number, etc then you go as a group to the bus/pier or wherever you’re supposed to meet. That has changed, at least for now, so you go where-ever your tour ticket tells you at the time noted on the ticket. Most often it was “meet on the pier at xx time” or “meet at the end of the pier at xx time”. Then the person in charge of the group checked you in, and told you where to go.

Once the crowd had died down, I headed ashore. First thing I did was buy a ticket and head up Mount Roberts by way of the tram. If it hadn’t been so wet, I had planned to take a short hike at the top. Since it was very cloudy and drizzly, I just went up, shopped, took some photos of the pier and the ship, then headed back down. Kind of pricey for a quick trip up, but that’s ok. Tickets were $25/pp.

Then I just walked along the pier, did some window shopping, and picked up a couple of souvenirs. The highlight of the day came when, while walking on the pier, I spotted something out of the corner of my eye. A bald eagle sat perched on a bridge not far from the pier. Even though it was drizzling, I stopped and changed my camera lens, throwing on my long lens. And I was able to capture some lovely photos of this wet bald eagle!

After a little more meandering and shopping, I headed back to the ship, dropped off my bags (camera and shopping) and yep, you guessed it, it was time for dinner! As always, I shared a table with strangers and had a lovely dinner with nice conversation.

After dinner, I went to the show. Singing/dancing called Sweet Soul Music. They have some talented individuals onboard. I then meandered over to Princess Live to watch the Yes/No game. There were three or four winners out of the six or seven that participated. It was pretty impressive!

At this point it was getting a late and I had a full day scheduled for Skagway so I called it a night.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s